Saturday, March 13, 2010

Keeping It Off -- Boost Your Metabolism - Eat Breakfast

In the past before my weight loss, breakfast consisted of a chocolate poptart (or two) with a piping hot cup of hot chocolate or scrambled eggs with butter in the pan, bacon, a large side of pancakes with thick syrup and more butter, or a bowl of sugary cereal, toast on the side with jelly and more butter!  Paula Deen would have been proud!  Often, my husband would join me in this food fest so I wouldn't feel so bad.  His favorite on occasion was an Entenmann's coffee cake with raspberry filling and thick icing and a large cup of coffee and a 1/2 gallon of milk. 

When I think back to those days I cringe.  How could I even believe that by fueling my body with these things I was going to feel energized for the day.  In fact, what happened was the complete opposite.  Sluggish, wanting a nap early in the afternoon and packing on more pounds was what my morning routine was getting me instead.

Oatmeal, egg whites, whole wheat or whole grain low sugar breads, yogurt parfaits, almond butters low in sugar of course, and fruit replaced my scary habits.  Eating breakfast isn't just for champions anymore it's for everyone who wants to stay on course, boost their metabolism, stay energized, and stay on track for life.

The key for me is keeping my breakfast choices easy and few.  I have 4 types of breakfasts that I alternate on a daily breakfast so I don't get stuck on one thing and get bored.  Here are some of my favorites:

1. Oatmeal, plain is best because it has less sugar.  I am trying to reduce my sugar intake as I have crossed over the 40 threshold and my body is again changing and playing tricks on me.  If I want sugar I use Stuvia a great calorie free substitute and 99.5% natural.  I add blueberries and slivered almonds and drink green tea every morning.

2.  Yogurt Parfaits are wonderful!  I love Fage 0% greek yogurt. Again, it's low in sugar and if I want my sugar I add Stuvia or Xylitol both all natural.  I alternate with strawberries and blueberries and add a little granola.  I also have some almonds on the side and green tea.

3.  Egg Whites!  My friend Alyce turned me onto these.  She microwaves hers but I still use my good old frying pan with a little Pam now, no butter please.  I add spinach, green peppers, onions, mushrooms and I enjoy it with a small amount of low fat cheddar or swiss cheese.  I might have 2 slices of my favorite sugar free bread at 40 calories a piece and either eat them dry or put a small amount of sugar free grape jelly. 

4.  My favorite of all time is 2 slices of sugar free whole wheat bread with 1 Tablespoon of Almond Butter that I add my flax oil too.  I drizzle the bread with the mixture and eat these two slices with an apple (skin on) and green tea.  It is filling and gets me energized for my morning routine.

That's it!  Pure and simple.  There are so many choices but these breakfast's keep me fueled and get my metabolism revved from an overnight fast.  Breakfast breaks the overnight fast.  Skipping breakfast keeps you in starvation mode preventing you from losing unwanted pounds and dropping your glucose levels which can cause reduced energy!  I also know that when I eat breakfast it keeps me from getting too hungry and nibbling. 

I always make sure that my breakfasts are comprised of complex carbohydrates, protein and fiber.

So no matter what your breakfast consists of, following these steps and watching portions are key to keeping it off in the morning.  I know eating breakfast makes me feel better.  I'm certain it will make you feel better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment