Saturday, April 3, 2010

5 Healthful Hints To Get Through This Easter Holiday



I'm not going to sugar coat anything when it comes to the holidays (although it seems appropriate to sugar coat everything since it's Easter). Any holiday is stressful, crazy, busy, and packed with fat laden foods we try to avoid all week long. How you approach this Easter holiday will be a test of your will power, perseverance, and how much you've learned over the years about trying to eat right and stay healthy. Even if you are just starting out take into consideration that if you do one right thing this holiday that's a big plus! I have had to train myself over the years on how to approach celebrations. There are so many of them. Having some control will cause less guilt.

Don't be nervous. Stop hyperventilating. For me, looking at any holiday is all in the planning and preparation. I have to tell myself that even if I fall off the bandwagon for one day that's all it is, ONE day. It's not a monthlong celebration or a weeklong vacation from my new eating habits, it's one day to relax and enjoy. How you enjoy it is up to you and tomorrow it's important to note that you get right back on track.

Look at holidays differently than you have in the past. When I was overweight it was all about the food. Now it's all about a new outfit, pampering myself a little that morning, playing with my niece and nephew, having a great conversation with my relatives, playing games with the family, taking a walk or reminiscing over family photos. The key is distraction and not sabotaging yourself or justifying that a holiday is the time to forget everything you've learned.

Take time to rest, stop rushing. Don't beat yourself up if you slip. The more prepared you are, the more you plan the night before, the more in control you can be.

Here are 5 Things to Help You Jumpstart Your Healthy Holiday

1. Keep your same routine throughout the day until the big event. Exercise even if it's only for 20 minutes. Take a walk outside, do some cardio or lift weights.

2. Don't skip meals all day and expect to head over to your Aunt's house and be in control. I can't tell you how many times I hear someone say "I haven't eaten all day" and then they graze all afternoon and evening without a clue how much food they're actually consuming. That pie you're eating is still the same calories today as it was yesterday. More likely at this point you're piling your plate with potatoes and a side loaf of bread. This comes to tip number 3.

3. Eat something before you arrive at your destination or if you are hosting. Have a cup of soup, an apple and cheese, or this time of year a hardboiled egg is excellent! Eggs put 6 grams of high quality protein in both the yolk and white. The yolk is a nice source of zinc, B vitamins, selenium, iron and other nutrients. Feeling full beforehand will help you arrive less famished.

4. When your event begins scope out the buffet or foods that are offered. Keep your plate simple and filled with veggies. I start with a big salad, gravitate towards the vegetables to fill half my plate as long as it's not full of sauces and butter, and then I remember to get my deck of card size protein, and one carbohydrate. Yes, there are usually about three or four different carbohydrates on our dinner table but I choose the one I haven't had in a great while, remember my portions, and savor it. Bring something to the table that is healthy like a veggie tray or fruit and fat free topping. There are a ton of recipes online.

5. Last, but not least. Enjoy a little dessert. Sometimes I take a couple of bites and stop but more than likely I'll allow myself one great dessert. Of course there are so many to choose from considering I'm of Polish and German descent. However, I watch my portion size, choose something I know I'll love, have a great cup of tea or decaf coffee and remember that tomorrow I'll be exercising again.

Don't let your family sabotage your efforts. If your mom insists you eat her famous chocolate cake, tell her you will take a slice home or eat two bites and push it aside. Be adamant about your maintenance efforts or watching your calories. Stick with a goal or two today, you'll be much happier for it.

All of this takes time and practice and you will make mistakes. Even if you take one tip into consideration you'll be on the right road.

Happy Easter!





1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Alan. I am so glad you want to continue reading my blog. I hope it is of some help to you and others.

    ReplyDelete