Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Kitchen Basics For A Healthy Lifestyle



Just like a chef needs the right utensils to create a gourmet meal or an artist needs the right tools to create a masterpiece, someone who is dieting or trying to maintain their weight needs the right instruments in their kitchen.

Preparing my kitchen for success was important to changing my lifestyle .  In the past when I started to diet I jumped into a plan without a thought about organization or having what I truly needed to make it work for the long haul. 

These are some of my favorite kitchen gadgets that keep me on track:

1.  A scale. This doesn't have to be expensive.  I picked up my scale at Target for about 15 bucks and I use it just about everyday.  On my plan I not only eyeball my meals but I also count calories.  For instance, an apple that is 3.9 oz. is 57 calories.  Have you ever cut up an apple and weighed it?  I realized how many calories I was really taking in once I did.  My afternoon snacks consist of about 100 to 140 calories so if I want an apple and some cheese I have to take the weight and calories into consideration. 

2. Measuring Spoons.  I use this every day for adding my flax oil and salad dressings, and almond butter to my meals.

3.  Ziploc Zip n' Steam Bags.  I Love these because I can get precut fresh veggies at the grocery store or fruit market and toss them in these bags, throw them into the microwave and I have my steamed vegetables in minutes.  I love adding seasonings and onions to the bags for added flavor. 

4.  Measuring Cups.  I use these for measuring cereal.  Cereal is something we don't really measure that much and a serving is usually 3/4 to 1 cup.  Measuring my cereal is important when counting calories and staying with the right portions.

5.  A Coffee Pot.  I am getting ready to buy a new item that only brews tea.  I drink a lot of green tea, black tea and white tea throughout the day. 

6.  My Netbook.  A bit more on the high end price-wise but any computer works just as well.  My netbook is in my kitchen or wherever I am lately.  I use it to find recipes and keep them loaded as I make my dinners.  I use it to search out calories and restaurant choices for carryout. I want to see what the nutritional values of the food I'm purchasing or meals I'm buying are. I also use my computer to print an ongoing grocery list I've created so I know what to reach for when I shop.

7. 9-inch plates.  The plan I'm on uses 9-inch plates.  1/2  is veggies, 1/4 carb, 1/4 protein, and a 2 litre pop capful of fat.  The plates keep my portions in check when I don't know calories.

8. Microwave, Toaster Oven.  Most of us have these things and using them is a quick way to prepare pita pizzas, microwave veggies, and toast bread. Toasting bread is better than eating it untoasted for digestive reasons. 

9. Ziploc Snack Bags.  I use these to portion out snacks-to-go.  I'd rather not buy the prepackaged 100 calorie snack packs.  A lot of them got me into trouble with too much sugar, not enough nutritional value.  My snacks are Almonds, Pita Chips, Chocolate Covered Soy Nuts, cereals like Special K Protein, Baked Fish Crackers, my own trailmix etc.

10. Crockpot! I love my crockpot because I can throw my ingredients in and forget about it for the day.  This is great for people who work or are busy taking care of families. My favorite cookbook for this is the Fix It And Forget It Lightly Cookbook.

11.  Ramekins.  A great way to watch portions, use ramekins as a guide.  An ounce of chips fit nicely in a ramekin.  They're great for fruit and icecream scoops as well.  I am a fan of Tofutti icecreams or anything that has low sugar content in it.  I also use them for my No Pudge Fudge Brownie Mix. With this mix I can eat one brownie topped with fat free whipped topping.

12. Blender.  For those quick smoothies that taste great on a hot summer day. For blending cereals to use as bread crumbs.  I love Hungry Girl's Ring Leader Onion Rings.

13. Tea Strainer Spoon.  Because I love tea so much and I want to do it right I use a tea strainer spoon.  After letting my tea steep for about 5 minutes I use the spoon to get every last bit of the teas nutrients into my cup. 

Start out with a few of these items and your kitchen will be well equipped for the coming months and your new healthy ways.  The easier you make it for yourself, the easier it will be to get through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment