Friday, April 2, 2010

Eat Your Veggies! Minestrone Soup Recipe


Eat your veggies.  I remember my mom telling me to do this.  Fortunately I liked the veggies my mom made.  However, her vegetables were laden with large quantities of butter.  As I grew up that realization prompted me to try healthier versions of my mom's favorites. 

This recipe gets all my vegetables in and makes a great meal or a lunch to pack for my husband.  I make a batch of this soup that I got from my Nutrition Action Healthletter many years ago.  This recipe makes a lot so I freeze some of it for later in the week.  It makes a great lunch if you're at work too. 

Soup is definitely a comfort food for me, inexpensive to make, filling, healthy and convenient.  So, eat your veggies!


Minestrone Soup


1 Tbs. olive oil

1 onion, diced

5 garlic cloves, chopped

1 carrot chopped

2 zucchini chopped

1 summer squash, chopped

1 tomato, chopped

1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes

2 tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. black pepper

2-1/2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth

1-1/2 cups water

1 16-oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 15-oz. can Great Northern or other white beans drained and rinsed

½ cup elbow macaroni

12 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese



Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the carrot, zucchini, squash, and chopped tomato and cook for 5 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, oregano, pepper, broth, and water. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the beans and macaroni to the soup. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes uncovered or until the pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Top with Parmesan cheese before serving. Makes 12 servings.

PER SERVING (1 cup)


Calories: 140                           Cholesterol: 5mg

Total Fat: 2g                            Carbohydrates:24g
Sat. Fat:1g/Trans Fat:0g           Protein:8g

Fiber: 6g                                  Sodium: 280mg                               

No comments:

Post a Comment