Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pedaling for A Purpose: Healthy Strategies for the Novice Bike Rider



I love to ride my bike. I have loved bike riding since I could get out on my own as a child and ride through my tiny neighborhood in Warren, Michigan. I remember sprucing it up with lights, orange flags, wicker baskets with flowers on them and a transistor radio. My bike took me to my friend’s house, to the corner 7-11 and to the park. It took me down dirt trails when my parents took us camping and it gave me some of the happiest memories.

Now, as an adult it's an inexpensive way to enjoy the company of my husband who works long hours during the week. It’s our date night on a Sunday afternoon and something we have in common after 22 years of marriage. It fills many purposes. It provides a healthy alternative to all the aerobics and strength training I do indoors and it decreases the stress in our lives. It’s fun, relaxing, and adventurous.

Now that the warmer weather is here I'm anxious to get started again. We are not entered in any bike races or marathons. We are the novice bike rider who enjoys the winding bike paths, the wide open areas filled with trees and streams, and the occasional wildlife sighting. Our last trip was to Traverse City, Michigan where we found several trails that led us to quaint towns and wineries, tiny lakes filled with sail boats and places to stop for a quick bite to eat and a hot steaming cup of coffee to get us going again. We watched wild turkeys cross our path and raccoons run into the brush.

Our purpose this spring is to join other novice bike riders and experienced cyclists on a bike tour in Frankenmuth, Michigan. The local Optimist Club holds a 15, 25, and 50 mile bike tour through the back roads of this little German town called “Michigan’s Little Bavaria”. The routes wind out of the village, along the Cass River, and across the lush farmlands of the Saginaw Valley. We are taking on the 15 mile tour with my brother and sister-in-law. They call it Fahrrad or Bicycle in German (pronounced Fa – Rod with a little roll in the “r”). The tour is held every May and cyclists range in age from tiny tots being pulled by their parents to 80 or 90 year olds who return every year. It’s exciting having something as simple as bike riding in common and the proceeds help their local club.

Before you start out on your own bike tour or for a ride in your neck of the woods take heed of these tips:

1. Wear a helmet

2. Take a water bottle and maybe a small snack for longer journeys.

3. Buy a portable pump and repair kit in case of a flat.

4. A Gel padded seat is a nice investment for longer rides.

5. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. I wear good fitting tennis shoes and workout shorts with a t-shirt. I usually bring a sweatshirt in case the temperature drops. I also bring my sun glasses.

6. A nice rack for the back of the bike and a cycling bag is great for carrying essentials on longer trips. I usually put my water, snack, sweatshirt, some Kleenex, aspirin, allergy medicine, money for stops along the way etc. Just in case.

7. Make sure you have a bike in working order. Take it to a local shop to fine tune anything you may not be sure of. I have a mountain bike and it works fine for what I’m doing. The more experienced you get the better bike you will need.

8. A mirror that attaches to the handlebars is also a nice idea.  The mirror helps to see traffic.

These are just the basics. As you progress and get more involved with cycling you’ll want to research more ideas or head to your nearest bike shop for more information and advice. There are guides for braking, safety, gears and shifting at Amazon.com.

Pedal for your health, pedal for fun, and enjoy your path to wellness.

Also see:













No comments:

Post a Comment