Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stay On Track - Listen To Music


My son is in a band. The joy it brings him is apparent as I watch him prepare song lyrics, strum on his guitar or just lose himself in the creative process. Music has always been a part of my family dynamic. My grandfather played the organ and accordion as well as my aunt and father. I took flute lessons and played the organ. My daughter traveled and competed in singing competitions. My omi and opa loved classical music and at family dinners it played in the background. Our goals for playing our music, learning it or competing were because of the wonderful things it gave back to us. We learned to appreciate all music.


Throughout my weight loss journey my love for music has grown. Music has a therapeutic quality to it and allows me to feel less stressed and able to accept the challenges that losing or maintaining weight brings with it.

When I first started my program I had a cumbersome CD player and headset that I carried with me on my walks. My husband saw what a struggle it was for me to do both things at once. On a trip to our local Costco he purchased a small MP3 player. I attached my new toy to my side while I walked. I was in heaven.

When I didn’t walk it was a relief to close my eyes and listen to more soothing songs and meditate a little in my own little world, just for a moment. Doing my housework seems less like a chore when I have my music playing. The music I listen to motivates me and changes my entire state of mind. Studies have shown that listening to just 10 minutes of Classical Music can increase intelligence.

Here are some other benefits to consider:

1. Music stimulates your brain so you’re more alert.

2. Music lowers stress levels.

3. One half hour of music lowers blood pressure.

4. Music stimulates creativity.

5. Music is great for workouts perhaps making you work faster and harder without even realizing it.

6. Music can boost immunity.

7. Soft music helps you sleep better.

With all the wonderful things that music can do for your health it’s a wonder that some of us forget to incorporate it into our daily routine. Listen to music in the morning so you’re ready to face the day or sooth your soul at night so you can forget your troubles, relax and sleep well before you start a new one.

The healing power of music will help you reach your potential. A relaxed body and mind is just as important as dropping the pounds or staying fit for life.

Here are some of my favorite walking tunes I have on my IPod. What are some of your favorites?

1. I Gotta Feeling – Black Eyed Peas

2. Home – Chris Daughtery

3. Fallin’ For You – Colbie Caillat

4. Feedback – Janet Jackson

5. Poker Face – Lady Gaga

6. Her Diamonds – Rob Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment